Create a solution that improves and enhances the functionality and visual appeal of our online donation system.
Create a solution that updates our current systems to enable easier reporting and exports.
Create a solution that improves our ability to increase options for donor giving.
Create a solution that allows us to easily communicate and promote our services.
Messages to Participants
Women’s Habitat is looking for increased options and information for donors. After receiving some feedback from our donors The "Donate Now" page could be enhanced to be more visual, as well as more versatile so it can support different payment transactions including visa, MasterCard, debit card and direct withdraw. We have identified also the opportunity to improve the current aesthetic design.
"The Raiser’s Edge" is an application created by BlackBaud that manages the cash flow related to donations and campaigns. It also acts as the main data repository of donor information. Until a year ago, this system was installed in a local Server under a Client-Server architecture.
About a year ago, the implementation of "The Raiser’s Edge" changed to a "Software as a Service" (SAAS) plan under a Cloud architecture. The local server was discarded, and all information is now accessed remotely.
The new cloud architecture has imposed some challenges that need to be addressed. The most pressing is related to the process of generating tax receipts. To elaborate, The Raiser’s Edge has a data-mining feature that identifies all new donations that require the issue of a Tax Receipt.
- The process starts when the user launches in “The Raiser’s Edge” application the export procedure for Tax Receipts.
- The output is a comma delimited file (“csv”).
- This output file is then used by Microsoft Word to print the required set of documents as defined by the template to use.
Looking to reach a younger donor demographic by leveraging technology such mobile giving platform.
Current methods for promoting services include website, social media and word of mouth.
The donation system is current IATS and is on Women’s habitat’s wordpress site. Teams will need to work on a plugin, and code as wordpress developers. This solution can easily be added after the competition.
The challenge present is that the Raiser’s Edge application is launched in a cloud environment, which means that, although all windows are displayed locally on the user’s screen, a server in a cloud executes the actual process. Due to this technical restriction, the export file is also saved on said cloud. However, Microsoft Word, as well as all Word Templates that have been programmed to process this file, are installed locally on the User’s computer. Due to security restrictions, the User has no way to use Word to process the exported file that resides on the cloud. Likewise, there is no way to export the file from the cloud to a local folder in the User’s computer.
A work-around has been implemented, that can be described as follows:
- The User first launches The Raiser’s Edge export procedure to generate the tax receipt CSV data file to print, as usual. This file is saved on the desktop.
- Then, the user launches a second time the Tax Receipt export procedure in the Raiser’s Edge application. However, during the selection of the destination path, the user bypasses the implemented security by right-clicking on the file from the previous export operation, and then opening it using Notepad.
- By definition, this Notepad session is opened in the cloud.
- The user then copies the contents of this Notepad session to the computer’s clipboard, and pastes it in a new Notepad session opened on the user’s local computer. This new file is saved as a comma delimited file (csv).
- Once saved locally, the User can proceed to use the installed Word Templates as usual.
The work-around previously described is rather unreliable, as sometimes the cloud server’s implemented security does not allow the user to browse freely through the file directory. Also, it is long and complex, and requires some computer skills to be able to follow all these steps without a problem.
The Raiser’s Edge has a set of queries that can be used to analyze the collected data, listing the result in a grid. Unfortunately, the current implemented queries are not sufficient to provide the data analysis required, and more often than not this information needs to be exported to Excel where the data is cleaned, sorted and grouped in the right format. This analysis is executed every year.
Currently, the Women’s Habitat uses on-line donation via website and general solicitation on social media. We would like to explore the use of QR Codes & Tags, text to give and options to host a giving day. This solution can include recommendations for using free or low cost platforms.
Women’s Habitat provides a variety of services including:
- Outreach services
- Programs for women
- Programs for youths
- Drop-in programs
- Emergency shelter